Randolph County was created on December 20, 1828, and named after the Virginia planter and politician, John Randolph.
He was honored originally as the namesake of present-day Jasper County but, because of his opposition to U.S. entry into the War of 1812, the Georgia General Assembly changed the county name to Jasper County on December 10, 1812. Eventually, John Randolph’s reputation was restored. In 1828, the General Assembly organized the current Randolph County in the west of the state that had historically been inhabited by the Muscogee people of the Creek Nation.
Lumpkin, Georgia was the original county seat It was within the portion of Randolph County that was reassigned in 1830 to form Stewart County. Lumpkin was designated as the latter’s county seat and was replaced by Cuthbert as the Randolph County seat.